Friday 27 April 2018

Collaboration project: OUGD506 - further development & production











When I decided to print my project I had a clear idea of the type of look I wanted. I wanted to not spend as much time producing the outcome, and think of it more as a newspaper. I felt this would be a lot more functional and I would be able to produce enough to send a copy to each of the designers inside. I soon found out that I wasn’t able to print on newsprint double sided. This was a big problem, I had to think about an alternative solution. After considering I decided to attempt making a magazine in the normal format. I would perfect bind the magazine after kettle stitching it together. Although I had not planned for this in my time, I knew it would create a clean looking outcome… if done correctly. After printing my copy, I soon realised big mistakes. I needed to re think my sizing. I found that a lot of my text and imagery was just too big. This made me analyse the magazine, really find it faults so next time printing I wouldn’t waste another £20 on a single print. After doing this I then also needed to create a cover for the magazine. Continuing with the Scandinavian theme I decided to use the same template as the original cover but instead, peel it right back to basics. Using a simple white background, I cut out the Føle letters, I felt this would give the magazine a Scandinavian feel from the offset. This then would allow the audience to see through to the original cover with the letters in same place below. I started of putting the zine together with the bind. I used a kettle stitch. I have done this bind before, none the less it can still be very frustrating and time consuming. Once stitched I then glues the side using pva. I would do this and then let it dry for 20 minutes, repeating this process 10 times! I then went onto completing the bind. I then used double sided tape and attached the front cover to the magazine. All that was left to do was use the electric guillotine the cut and finish the magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment