Thursday 19 April 2018

OUGD505: Ethical Project: Final development

final development: 
When creating the final design, I already had a very good idea of the core aesthetic I was going to create from previous initial ideas. It was now time to make adjustments to the chosen designs. With both designs I felt they lacked a sense of character and personality. These are both key aspects of creating design to appeal to kids, especially when the product is meant to be a treat. To do this like many kids food packaging do, I tried to create characters within the base of the design whether that was the logo type or using background shape. I did this through sketching and then developing using CAD. I particularly focused on a bright and bold use of colour to attract consumers. As well as strong loud type to appeal to the younger market. This is then paired with the use of character or personality to each design.






For Kind bars I used a hand drawn logo type, this keeps the feel of the bar informal and fun. I knew this wasn’t enough to appeal to kids and make the bar stand out. To help develop the design I focused on incorporating a personality within the logotype. Through sketching and developing on illustrator I made the decision to create a smiley face within the N and D. I felt this linked nicely with the name Kind and didn’t overcomplicate the design. I then went on to focus on the smaller text for the information. I played around with the idea of using a hand draw type again. Although this worked I felt the logotype would contrast more fluently with a thin, legible type. I decided to use Rampung a tall round type with a friendly feel to it.











For Trek bars I used a bold strong type, making the bar feel trendy and futuristic. This was then matched with a centred circle in the background. I felt this would draw the consumers eyes straight to the logo. Once again the bar lacked a sense of character. I tried to overcome this creating emoji like designs on the background circle. After experimenting with these I found that simplifying them to just the legs and arms was enough to create personality, whilst not taking away from the initial design. I created 4 designs for the different flavours of the bar, giving each a different personality. This was matched with bright and vibrant colours to appeal to the young target market. For the information text I used Futura, this worked well sitting comfortably with Jaapokki, ensuring the logotype is the centre of attention whilst keeping the information clearly legible.







No comments:

Post a Comment