Monday 6 February 2017

OUGD405: studio brief 1- My wayfinding system - research

After completing the tasks set all linked to the them of wayfinding. It was now time to create my own system for Leeds. I started the process by brainstorming ideas and points of interest which could inspire me to create a wayfinding system for. 



From this I have decided to create a wayfinding system based around creating my own outdoors exhibition. creating a route to explore the city for new comers to Leeds, as well as showing off some of its public art. I gathered that the wayfinding systems in Leeds are quite limited and I couldn’t seem to find any that jumped out at me or informed me particularly well. This also encouraged me to create a signage system that was a bit more ambitious and fun. I also gathered information from various articles about gallery spaces and the environment’s in which work is put in, and how it effects it.

Rationale:

My idea in this project was to create an outdoor free exhibition showcasing the talented street artists and my favourite pieces of public art. After researching I felt Leeds has a lot of art on its streets to show off, and needs a platform elevate show it. As well as giving new comers to the city a chance to explore and get to know Leeds. My wayfinding system guides the audience through the city using directional, subjective black letter style marks in a super graphics style. As well as icons at the pieces to show how far they are along the route.  This public exhibition would be aimed at new people to the city in particular, students like me that are new to Leeds and want to get to know the city and its culture better. To ensure I would capture the target market I needed to ensure high impact visuals on a large scale. I particularly tried to make a strong connection between the black letter style and similarity of marks used in graffiti. I would also need to ensure my symbols guiding the audience are clear making it as easy to follow as possible. I only used black and white with my symbols, once again trying to enforce clarity with white contrasting with most walls and positions in which the signage would be placed.



Observational studies of Leeds wayfinding systems:




Research into exhibition spaces / art enviroments:



Choosing the pieces of public art for my exhibition:



My favourite and chosen pieces of public art in Leeds:
I needed to find the pieces on the streets of Leeds. Investigating into the street art in Leeds and came across the Leeds art trail, showing a vast array of art works around Leeds. This was incredibly helpful and helped me find quite a few pieces. I went all the locations viewing and shooting. After viewing the pieces I felt would connect with my audience, I chose 6. These were all in a good walking distance, as well as being a part of a route which takes you through the city.



 
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment