Sunday 14 May 2017

OUGD404: Exhibition poster


With this brief we were tasked with creating an exhibition poster of our choice using some kind of paper cut out/ paperart. I took inspiration from a lot of London city scape photographers. I wanted to use my photography as a tool. I already new I had night city scape photographs from personal shoots. I thought what better to way than use these for my mock exhibition poster. I have used a paper model of a city skyline that I made and photographed. I then layered this on top of one of my cityscape night shots, using slow shutter speed to capture light trails. I used the opacity and levels tools to create the effect of the pictures being merged together. I then used the galleries logo, with my type and shape combined to create the title, which uses the background image as the fill of the text. I did try a couple of variation but found the less stylised I made it with the edit the better.




experiments with other layout: 



I used Circular Std for the exhibition title. I used the font in all caps using a slightly smaller scale for the top two words and a larger scale for ‘scapes’ underneath. This font works in capitals; its friendly rounded letterforms creates a soft tone. Whilst creating a friendly vibe it is also very impactful with thick stroke meaning the type stands out. I have made the fill of the type transparent, using my background image as the colour fill. This works well making the text sit nicely and not interrupt the imagery. To aid this title text I have Helvetica regular in caps for small print and subheadings. This is neutral and works well for serving the exhibition information with clarity. I have designed it to an A1 scale. I feel this is a large enough size for a poster and any smaller wouldn’t have a solid impact, especially as it needs to be clear and legible. The format of this poster can change I have designed it so it folds down into a3. No matter which way you fold it the aesthetics of that section should work on there own. Presenting the audience with either the name and information of the exhibition, gallery logo or my photographic imagery.





No comments:

Post a Comment